Kate helps her clients achieve their business objectives and charitable missions in a manner that complies with state and federal healthcare regulations. Her years of experience advising clients on a wide range of health care matters affords her the depth of knowledge necessary to help her clients stay ahead of the curve in a rapidly changing, highly complex industry.
She is passionate about expanding access to quality healthcare, while improving the efficiency of care delivery. That passion translates into Kate’s work serving clients in nearly all areas of health care law. She specializes in transactional matters and compliance with federal and state healthcare regulations, including federal Stark and state self-referral laws, federal and state anti-kickback laws, HIPAA and state privacy laws, and federal tax-exempt laws.
Kate’s clients include physician groups, hospitals, large health systems, retail and compounding pharmacies, accountable care organizations (ACOs), home health agencies, hospices, nursing homes, ambulatory surgery centers, medical device companies and businesses that provide practice management and related services to healthcare providers. She regularly publishes articles and gives presentations across the country providing insight and analysis of laws that impact the healthcare industry.
Kate is passionate about Cleveland’s visual arts scene, is an active mother of three and is an avid bike rider, competing in charity bike races like VeloSano, which benefits cancer research at the Cleveland Clinic.
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1999
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2003
- Order of the Coif
- The Wayne Law Review, Senior Articles Editor
- McGregor Foundation, Board Member, 2017 to present
- Inamori International Center for Ethics and Excellence, Advisory Board Member, 2018
- American Health Lawyers Association, Strategic Planning and Special Projects Vice Chair of the Physician Organizations Practice Group, 2018
- Care Alliance Health Center, Member, Board of Directors, 2018
- Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys, Member, 2018
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Vice Chair of Publications, Physician Organizations Practice Group, 2016 to present
- Vice Chair, Physician In-House Counsel Affinity Group, 2015 to 2016
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Health Care Law Section Executive Committee, 2017 to present
- Ohio State Courts
- Michigan State Courts
- New York State Courts
- Served as lead attorney on numerous significant health care transactional matters, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures
- Drafted legal opinions, policies and procedures to ensure compliance with Medicare enrollment requirements, and federal and state health care fraud and abuse laws, including federal Stark and state self-referral laws; federal and state anti-kickback laws; HIPAA and state privacy laws; federal tax exempt laws; and industry best practices
- Served as lead attorney in private securities offerings by ambulatory surgery center, physician-owned hospital and hospital co-management companies
- Served as a firm, local and national resource regarding federal health care reform and physician-hospital alignment
- Drafted and negotiated numerous procurement contracts for a large health system
- Acted as primary attorney contact for real estate leasing departments of hospitals
- Organized and served as regulatory counsel for Medicare ACOs
SELECTED SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Presenter, “Buying and Selling a Physician Practice,” 2018 Ohio State Medical Association Education Symposium, April 2018
- Presenter, “Medical Marijuana in Ohio,” 2018 Ohio State Medical Association Education Symposium, April 2018
- Moderator, “Physician Compensation Data: Questions and Answers for the Era of Value Based Reimbursement, Part II: A Conversation with Representatives of Medical Group Management Association (MGMA),” American Health Lawyers Association, Webinar, August, 2016
- Moderator, “Practical Guidance for Addressing Physician Licensure Disciplinary Matters in Florida, New York, and Beyond,” Physician In-House Counsel Affinity Group of the In-House Counsel and Physician Organizations Practice Groups, Webinar, May, 2016
- Co-Presenter, “Breaking Up Is Hard To Do: An Unwind Checklist for a Smoother Transition,” American Health Lawyers Association, Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute, Austin, Texas, February, 2016
- Co-Presenter, “My Contract Says WHAT? Issues with Physician Employment Agreements,” Ohio
State Bar Association, Webinar, September, 2015
- Co-Presenter, “Current Impact of the Affordable Care Act,” Tax Club of Cleveland, Cleveland, OH, September, 2015
- Moderator, “Population Health Management: Strategies and Transaction Considerations,” American Health Lawyers Association, Webinar, July 2015.
- Presenter, “Regulatory Perspective: Knowing the Risks to Your ACO and Avoiding Potential Pitfalls,” ACO Performance Management, Contracting, & Compliance Summit, Chicago, IL, October 10, 2014.
- Co-Presenter, “Transitioning to Accountable Care Organizations: Legal Issues Arising from Health Information Technology,” Michigan State Medical Society, Plymouth, Michigan, September 18, 2013
- Presenter, “Building Patient Centered Medical Homes,” 2012 American Academy of Medical Administrators Conference, San Antonio, Texas, November 15, 2012
- Roundtable Moderator, “Marketing and Joint Ventures,” Medtrade, Atlanta, Georgia, October 18, 2012
- Presenter, “Overview of Health Care Delivery Models From a Legal Perspective,” Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, November 15, 2011.
- Co-Presenter, “Practice Integration: Not If, But How,” American College of Gastroenterology 2011 Annual Scientific Meeting and Postgraduate Course, Washington, DC, October 28, 2011
- Co-Presenter, “How to Align Without a Sale,” Decision Health Physician-Hospital Alignment Strategies 2011, Las Vegas, Nevada, June 7, 2011
- Presenter, “RAC and Medicare Audits,” National City Bank, Troy, Michigan, February 25, 2010
SELECTED ARTICLES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Author, “5 Things Every Ohio Physician Should Know About Ohio’s Medical Marijuana Law,” Ohio Medicine, June 2018
- Author, “Business Associate Agreements: Why These Contracts Matter,” Communique, January, 2018
- Author, “The MACRA Quality Payment Program is Here. Are You Ready?,” Communique, January, 2017
- Author, “I’m Out of Here! Now What?” Practical Advice For Departing Physicians,” Anesthesia Business Consultants, Communique, February, 2016
- Author, “Medicare Home Health Agencies Should Redirect Focus,” Crain’s Cleveland Business, January, 2016.
- Author, “Stark 101 for Anesthesiologists,” Anesthesia Business Consultants, Communique, Fall, 2015.
- Author, “Physician Practice as Employer under Federal Health Care Reform: The Employer Mandate and Related Requirements and Opportunities,” AHLA Newsletter, May, 2014.
- Co-author, “The Sunshine Act and Your Financial Relationships,” AHRA Link, December, 2013
- Co-author, “Meaningful Use Incentives Under Increasing Scrutiny,” AHRA Link, November, 2013
- Author, “ACOs: Patients Are Flocking to Them – Should You,” Chicago Medicine, October, 2013
- Co-author, “OIG Advisory Opinion 12-06: Insightful Guidance from the OIG For Structuring Company Model Arrangements,” ABA Health eSource, June, 2012
- Co-author, “The Medicare Hospital Value-Based Purchasing Program and Imaging’s Role,” AHRA Radiology Management, January/February 2012
- “Independent docs still see a path to success,” Crain’s Cleveland Business, January, 2018
- “Attorneys Dish On Escobar’s FCA Impact One Year Later,” Law360, June, 2017
- “When It Comes to Health Care, Change is Inevitable,” Crain’s Cleveland Business, January, 2017
- “Tips Before the Sale: Understanding the Details,” The Ambulatory M&A Advisor, September, 2015
- “Look to Automation for Easier Solutions as CMS Confirms PQRS Getting Tougher,” Part B News, July 31, 2014
- “Physicians Leading Majority of ACOs,” AMN Healthcare News, June, 2014
- “Health Care Law: Bringing Two Hospitals Together is a Complex Process,” Crain’s Cleveland Business, February 2, 2014
- “Firm Size is a Key Factor in What Needs To Be Done to Comply with Obamacare,” ABA Journal, February, 2014