Justine has distinguished herself as a tenacious attorney who is not afraid to take on the most sophisticated and complex cases. A talented litigator, she is committed to finding the solution that best meets a client’s goals, whether that means negotiating a settlement, taking a matter to arbitration or trial, or appealing a court decision. With admissions in both state and federal courts and skills in appellate law, Justine can see every case through to the finish line.
Much of Justine’s current legal work focuses on real estate law and the representation of borrowers, lenders, developers and tenants in a wide variety of business and commercial litigation. She also frequently works on behalf of individuals, middle-market and small businesses in such matters as contract and shareholder disputes.
Justine also serves in leadership roles within KJK. As Associate General Counsel, she provides the firm advice and consultation on ethical issues and keeps KJK attorneys aware of changes in rules regulating the profession. As a senior litigation associate, Justine is also responsible for managing and mentoring associates in the department.
Outside of her client work, Justine has served as an adjunct professor teaching appellate practice at the Case Western Reserve University School of Law and is an avid rock climber, who recently finished her tenure on the board of the Ohio Climbers Coalition.
“I enjoy rock climbing. It requires grit, determination, on the spot problem solving, accurate appraisal of risk and confidence―the same tasks and strengths required for successful litigation .” – Justine Lara Konicki
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude
- Allegheny College, B.A. with Political Science Honors, 2007, cum laude
- Pi Sigma Alpha
- Phi Alpha Theta
- Ohio Climbers Coalition
- Member, Board of Directors 2013 – 2016
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Adjunct Professor, Appellate Practice, 2014 – 2016
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Member, Law School Debt Task Force
- Ohio State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2015 – 2017
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Appellate Practice, Spring 2009
- “Department of Labor’s Fiduciary Rule Now in Effect,” Jun. 14, 2017
- Demystifying Federal Student Debt Repayment: What New Grads Need to Know, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, June 2013
- Served as part of the team that created the successful bid for Cleveland to host the 2016 Republican National Convention
- Protected and advanced relocation of company’s world headquarters to Midtown Cleveland when the landlord and majority owner were threatened by a request for temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction
- Defended construction defect cases against a developer and builder and roofing company
- Facilitated the resolution of a complex, multi-party real estate redevelopment dispute regarding a prominent Cleveland property
- Worked to protect property owners across Ohio when the State appropriates their land
- Represented management company and affiliates in a case that uncovered and defeated landlords’ conspiracy to put the operators of 21 nursing homes across Ohio out of business
- Served as counsel in drafting multiple winning appellate briefs and gave oral arguments in cases at the 5th and 8th District Court of Appeals