Jon is a talented litigator and trusted counselor to a wide variety of public and private corporations that include manufacturers, real estate developers, property managers, hedge funds, private equity portfolio companies, financial institutions, distributors, physician groups and technology companies, among others. Jon is also part of KJK’s leadership team, serving as co-hiring partner along with Jim Lane to oversee the recruitment and development of top talent in the firm.
He’s skilled in the most complex client matters involving business torts, securities, trade secrets and contractual issues in federal and state courts. Jon’s experience includes assisting businesses in the enforcement and defense of restrictive covenants, including non-compete/non-solicitation agreements, and advocating on behalf of clients seeking and defending against temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions, and other forms of emergency relief. Many of Jon’s clients rely on him for risk management counseling and oversight of their claims handling processes. Jon also advises businesses in out-of-court resolutions, including mediation and arbitration.
Jon’s client service philosophy prioritizes accessibility, responsiveness, and efficiency. He’s prized by clients for being thoughtful but tough. A history buff, Jon often applies lessons of the past when helping clients strategize, assess risks, and engage in long-term thinking.
After four years practicing law in Washington, D.C., Jon returned to his hometown of Cleveland in 2012. His love for the city compels him to invest his civic energies with organizations that serve young people in Northeast Ohio, including the Boys & Girls Club of Cleveland, College Now Cleveland, and his alma mater, Saint Ignatius High School. He’s also a lifelong Cleveland sports fan and the grandson of long-time Cleveland Browns offensive tackle and place-kicker Lou Groza, who was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1974.
“I think creatively and work proactively in order to obtain outcomes that benefit my clients and their businesses.” – Jon W. Groza
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2008
- Miami University, B.A, History, 2005
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Cleveland, Young Professionals Association, Bridge Board Member
- Boys & Girls Club of Cleveland, Former Bridge Board Member
- Cleveland Leadership Center, Class of 2013 Graduate
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association 3Rs Program (Rights, Responsibilities, Realities), Former Volunteer and Team Leader
- College Now Greater Cleveland, Former Mentor
- Junior Achievement of Cleveland, Member, Board of Directors
- The Lawyers Guild of the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland, Executive Committee
- MetroHealth Foundation, Member, Board of Directors
- Rocky River School City Schools, Former Assistant Lacrosse Coach
- Saint Ignatius High School Bellarmine Committee, Committee Member
- Saint Martin De Porres High School, Member, Advancement Committee
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- Selected to Ohio Rising Stars, 2016-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2018
- Defended a European automotive parts manufacturer in a UCC/contract dispute as first-chair trial counsel, obtaining a complete dismissal of plaintiff’s claims and an award of sanctions
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of alternative investment funds against fraudulent transferee investors who fraudulently obtained funds through a Ponzi scheme
- Represented a national mortgage servicing company in multiple federal litigation matters, obtaining the dismissal of all plaintiffs’ claims prior to trial
- Obtained the reversal of a default judgment entered against a German industrial printer client and negotiated the favorable settlement of plaintiff’s remaining claims
- Defended a national financial institution in multiple employment discrimination actions, enforcing its employment agreements and obtaining favorable settlements following mediation before the American Arbitration Association
- Defended a national eyewear retailer in an investigation and subsequent consumer protection action brought by the Ohio Attorney General’s office
- Successfully defended efforts to secure a preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order against a European dental implant manufacturer and its employee
- Secured a preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order against the rogue employee of a national mortgage servicing company
- Successfully defended a global manufacturer and distributor of concrete tunnel and sewer pipes; defeating an injunction and enabling the company and its new employee to commence operations in the Ohio market
- Defended a privately held manufacturing business in a shareholder derivative lawsuit
- Obtained summary judgment and complete dismissal of all plaintiff’s claims on behalf of a publicly traded national retailer.