Michele provides general corporate law counsel to companies of all sizes, ranging from start-up and emerging growth businesses through publicly-traded corporations.
For start-up companies, Michele provides expertise in the formation of the business, raising capital and establishing a solid trajectory for growth. She specializes in working with entrepreneurs from the start, allowing her to understand their companies’ unique needs and take proactive steps to avoid common start-up pitfalls. She is a frequent speaker at LaunchHouse, one of Cleveland’s leading business accelerator programs.
Michele also specializes in securities law, working with publicly-traded corporations on transactions such as capital formation (both private and public offerings), private placements of debt and equity securities, tender offers, proxy contests, mergers and asset purchases and sales. She also counsels clients on the ongoing SEC reporting requirements and corporate governance matters.
Michele is an active volunteer in her home community of Bath, where she sits of the board of the Revere Schools Foundation and contributes her time to various projects in the Revere School District. She also works as a volunteer at the Center for Innovation & Transition in Employment at Kent State University, a program that helps children with special needs transition into college.
“I like the concept of getting involved from the ground up with a company and getting to know the people behind the business. It’s the people who make the business, not the idea. I like to be viewed not just as a lawyer, but also a business advisor.” – Michele L. Hoza
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University, J.D., 2001, cum laude
- Managing Editor, Cleveland State Law Review, 1999-2000
- Kent State University, B.A., 1993
- United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Cleveland, Board Member
- Revere Schools Foundation, Board Member
- Center for Innovation & Transition in Employment, Kent State University, Volunteer
- Junior Achievement of Cleveland, Volunteer
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Securities Law Section
- Ohio State Courts
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2009 to 2010
- LaunchHouse Seed Capital Fund and Business Accelerator
- Frequent speaker to new entrepreneurs on protecting intellectual property, limited liability status, warranties and consumer issues
“As a growing, young company, Vadxx has been helped immeasurably by KJK with outstanding legal guidance on many complex issues. But we find that KJK brings much more to the table than just legal expertise. At Vadxx we consider KJK to be our most important business partner, as our company implements plastic waste to energy units on a worldwide basis.”
— Jim Garrett, CEO, Vadxx Energy
- Worked with a high-tech recycling start-up that converts recyclable and non-recyclable plastic in to higher value petroleum and natural gas products to secure its first round of private equity investment for $90 million
- Assist start-up technology companies and their investors with accessing available state tax credits and funds
- Representing a publicly-held manufacturer in a $413 million sale of company
- Representing an international company with an underwritten offering of $110 million of senior secured notes, a subsequent $65 million exchange of senior notes and a $50 million restructuring and senior bank debt
- Assisting a publicly-held utility holding company in a $21 million secondary offering its primary and secondary shares
- Representing a publicly-held manufacturer of friction materials and parts in a $94 million sale of a primary business segment with operations in China
- Counseling an international company in the negotiation of debt refinancing in the amount of $30 million