Justine has distinguished herself as a tenacious attorney who’s not afraid to take on even the most complex cases to deliver the best possible outcome for each client. She is a talented litigator who is nonetheless committed to finding the solution that best meets a client’s goals, whether that means negotiating a settlement, pursuing litigation or appealing a court decision. With admissions in both state and federal courts and expertise in appellate law, Justine can see every case through to the best possible conclusion.
Much of Justine’s current legal work is focused in the area of real estate law, representing borrowers, lenders, developers and tenants in a wide variety of business and commercial litigation. However, she also works frequently on behalf of private individuals, middle-market and small businesses in such matters as contract and shareholder disputes.
Justine also serves in leadership roles within KJK; she holds the position of Associate General Counsel, providing advice and keeping other KJK attorneys abreast of relevant changes in rules regulating the profession and is a senior litigation associate, managing and mentoring associates in the department.
Outside of her client work, Justine is also an adjunct professor in the area of appellate law at the Case Western Reserve University School of Law and is an avid rock climber, serving on the board of the Ohio Climbers Coalition.
“I enjoy rock climbing, which requires grit. It’s about determination and also solving puzzles, which dovetails into what I do in my legal practice.” – Justine L. Konicki
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude
- Allegheny College, B.A. with Political Science Honors, 2007, cum laude
- Pi Sigma Alpha
- Phi Alpha Theta
- Ohio Climbers Coalition
- Member, Board of Directors
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Member, Law School Debt Task Force
- Ohio Women’s Bar Association
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Adjunct Professor, Appellate Practice, 2014 – present
- Ohio State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2015, 2016
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Appellate Practice, Spring 2009
- Demystifying Federal Student Debt Repayment: What New Grads Need to Know, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, June 2013
- Served as part of the team that created the successful bid for Cleveland to host the 2016 Republican National Convention
- Protected and advanced relocation of company’s world headquarters to Midtown Cleveland when the landlord and majority owner were threatened by a request for temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction
- Defended construction defect cases against a developer and builder and roofing company
- Facilitated the resolution of a complex, multi-party real estate redevelopment dispute regarding a prominent Cleveland property
- Worked to protect property owners across Ohio when the State appropriates their land
- Represented management company and affiliates in a case that uncovered and defeated landlords’ conspiracy to put the operators of 21 nursing homes across Ohio out of business
- Served as counsel in drafting multiple winning appellate briefs and gave oral arguments in cases at the 5th and 8th District Court of Appeals