Alexis combines the best of her journalism background and legal training to bring clients efficient and excellent writing and research in her work as an Associate, where she supports a team of KJK attorneys on cases involving litigation, employment law, intellectual property and work for small businesses. Alexis’s responsibilities include drafting legal documents such as motions, contracts, discovery requests and responses, letters, and mediation statements, reviewing documents produced in discovery, editing documents and communicating case updates to clients.
Drawing on experiences from the newsroom to the courtroom, she brings exceptional listening skills to her work with clients, helping her to understand their needs and goals and find the best path to achieve those goals.
Prior to her time at KJK, Alexis served as an extern for Chief Judge Edmund A. Sargus of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio and Justice Judith L. French of the Supreme Court of Ohio.
Originally from the Hocking Hills area of Southeastern Ohio, Alexis is a longtime Columbus resident and active participant in the city’s arts and culture scene, and supports Columbus’s local businesses and entrepreneurs.
“I like to hear people’s stories. Being a good listener helps me connect with clients. I can write more effectively for their cases if I really understand their issues.” – Alexis V. Preskar
- Capital University Law School, J.D., 2016, summa cum laude
- Capital University Law Review, Associate Note Editor
- John E. Sullivan Research Fellow
- Ohio State University, B.A., Journalism, 2013, cum laude
- The Lantern, reporter and copy editor
- Communications Committee, Capital University Law School, student representative and writer
- Women’s Law Association, Capital University Law School, secretary
- Society for Professional Journalists, Ohio State University student chapter, former president and treasurer
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County
- Ohio State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards for:
- Torts I
- Contracts I
- Property II
- Civil Procedure: Rules
- Business Associations I and II
- Federal Personal Income Tax
- Constitutional Law II: First Amendment
- Legal Drafting: Criminal
- 2016 Ambassador Award, Capital University Law School
- “The Wrong Decision at the Right Time: How Aereo and Its Aftermath Exposed The Need For Change In The Copyright Act,” Capital University Law Review, Issue 4 Volume 44
- Worked as part of the legal team that achieved a successful resolution of $6.3 million combined breach of sales representative agreement and construction dispute pending in U.S., Canadian, and Mexican federal courts
- Assisted the lead attorney in the successful resolution of $2.4 million joint venture dispute pending in multiple jurisdictions involving parties from China and Ohio
- Assisted the legal team that prevailed in bench trial in $3.8 million breach of settlement agreement action against national bank, and was awarded $120,000 in legal fees
- Aided the lead attorney in a week-long jury trial on behalf of business by obtaining $42,000 in breach of contract action, while obtaining directed verdict on adversary’s fraud and conversion claims and a verdict throwing out adversary’s $650,000 breach of contract and trade secret misappropriation claims