We are engaged in a comprehensive real estate practice representing a wide array of clients. Our attorneys counsel buyers and sellers, landlords and tenants, and borrowers and lenders in all categories of real estate transactions, and builders and developers of all kinds, including builders of single family homes and developers of shopping centers, hotels and office buildings.
We are involved in every phase of the process from land acquisition through construction financing, lease-up and permanent financing. Following project completion, we assist in the leasing and management of the property by drafting and negotiating leases and dealing with problem tenants.
We also represent contractors and subcontractors seeking payment for their work through material men’s liens, public works liens, bond claims, and subsequent litigation. We also regularly handle refinancings and negotiate workouts on behalf of borrowers and lenders.
Among the transactions we recently have handled are:
- Construction and financing of shopping centers in Ohio, Illinois and Virginia
- Construction and financing of apartment and mixed-use developments in Florida, Ohio, Arizona and Virginia
- Construction and financing of condominium developments in Ohio, Georgia and Arizona
- Acquisition and financing for over 150 single tenant retail and commercial sites in 17 states
- Counsel to borrower in a $19 million securitized mortgage-backed refinancing transaction of a multi-tenant major retail shopping center
- Counsel to borrower, a national retailer of consumer fireworks and pyrotechno products, in connection with the reformation of a syndicated bank group valued at $65 million; facilitated the raising of related mezzanine junior secured debt with a value of $10 million
- Representation of a developer in the re-development of multi-vacant properties in major metropolitan business districts, which involved bonds, state-funded loans for vacant property initiative, historic tax credits (state and federal), TIFF, recovery zone bonds and new market tax credits
- Representation of medical professionals in a note participation financing transaction providing unsecured capital to facilitate the refinancing of a medical building
- Representation of a buyer of a shopping center in negotiation of its purchase and sale
- Representation of buyer in connection with securitized mortgaged-backed transaction with value of $5.9 million
- Representation of multiple borrowers in connection with securitized mortgaged-backed transaction with respect to issuance of non-consolidation of legal opinions and related structuring of special purpose entities (SPEs) in order to comply with rating agency requirements
- Representation of lender in senior-secured credit facility to a manufacturer in the amount of $2.3 million
- Counsel to senior lender in stand-by bond purchase agreement and related unsecured revolving credit facility to finance private higher education facility
- Representation of real property owners and lenders in connection with loan workouts, forbearance agreements, note purchase transactions, short sales and deeds in lieu of foreclosure with respect to various types of real estate transactions
- Representation of major local developer with the reorganization of its capital structure, including approximately 50 properties valued in excess of $220 million, in connection with the resolution of various partnership disputes
- Representation of developer in the acquisition of an 11 shopping center portfolio valued at $200 million, in connection with the settlement of litigation
- Representation of hotel developer in refinancing 3 hotels with aggregate loan values in excess of $50 million
- Representation of fast food franchise operator in leasing and purchase of 30 properties throughout Ohio and Florida
- Representation of manufacturing client in restructuring its real estate portfolio through sale/leaseback and lease transactions
- Representation of non-profit client seeking historic tax credit approval for building renovations valued at $2 million
- Representing the developer of a 650,000 square-foot office complex in downtown Cleveland, including negotiating joint venture agreements, construction and permanent financing and negotiating and drafting leases with sophisticated national tenants
- Representing a multi-location Cleveland automobile dealer in the sale of dealership real estate to a national real estate investment trust
- Selling and leasing of an 800,000 square-foot warehouse complex
- Developing, acquiring, selling and financing several major hotel properties located throughout the eastern United States
- Negotiating and drafting anchor, “big box,” in-line and outparcel leases on behalf of both landlords and tenants in shopping centers throughout the United States
- Representing a local developer in site acquisition, leasing, construction and financing of multiple store locations for a major national drugstore chain
The Real Estate Practice Group recently launched the Ohio Real Estate Blog, where they regularly blog on Ohio real estate issues. The blog is located at
For more information about our real estate practice, please contact Steven A. Marrer at 216-736-7267 or email@example.com, or Anne T. Corrigan at 216-736-7227 or firstname.lastname@example.org.