Valoria C. Hoover
Partner - Columbus Office
Valoria is the Partner in Charge of the firm’s Columbus Office and is a partner in Kohrman Jackson & Krantz's Corporate and Litigation groups.
Valoria principally practices in complex business litigation and general corporate matters. She also provides counsel to public and private companies to solve their day-to-day business problems. Additionally, Valoria has extensive experience in appellate practice. Since 2003, Valoria has served as Special Counsel to The Ohio Attorney General.
Valoria has resolved client issues that have involved many diverse areas, including fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties, directors’ and officers’ liability, complex commercial disputes, real estate leases, trade secret violations, shareholder rights disputes, insurance company’s rehabilitation and liquidation, discrimination claims, warranty claims, products liability, Food and Drug Administration violations, FAA regulations, professional malpractice and class actions. Her successes as a primary litigator include a $9,500,000 verdict for an aircraft brake manufacturer on an anticipatory breach of contract claim and an $800,000 verdict for an architect on a breach of fiduciary duty claim.
Valoria has represented a client in front of the U.S. House of Representatives’ Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee for the Energy and Commerce Committee.
After law school, Valoria clerked at the Ninth District Court of Appeals and the Ohio Supreme Court. Prior to joining KJK Valoria was a partner in an Akron law firm.
Some of Valoria's experience includes:
- Successfully defended publicly traded REIT in a multi-million dollar property damage claim because of a roof collapse
- Successfully guided a manufacturing company through a very complicated acquisition process and subsequent legal challenges
- Successfully helped a small business reach its business goals by providing proper legal structuring
- Successfully defended an insurance company against a class action lawsuit on fraud in premiums increases
- Advised company on numerous insurance coverage issues
- Successfully represented ousted company president and shareholder in a fraud action against the acquiring shareholder
- $9.5 million verdict for an aircraft brake manufacturer on an anticipatory breach of contract claim
- Successfully defended a medical school in discrimination cases
- Successfully represented to verdict a real estate company in pursuit of its commission
- Obtained approval of an insurance company's rehabilitation plan and liquidation order
- $800,000 verdict for an architect on a breach of fiduciary duty claim
- Successfully negotiated the sale of a company’s assets
- Successfully resolved for several clients a legal malpractice case against a law firm for its representation on IRC 1031 real estate exchanges
University of Dayton School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1992; Associate Editor University of Dayton Law Review
Miami University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1989
Ohio State Courts
The United States District Courts, Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
The United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
The Supreme Court of the United States
Numerous state & federal courts by pro hac vice
Trustee, Columbus State Community College
Immediate Past President, Ohio Women’s Bar Association (President 2010-2011)
Immediate Past President, Ohio Women's Bar Foundation (First President 2010-2011)
Fellow, Akron Bar Association Foundation
Chair, OWBF Leadership Institute (2010-2012)
Member, Ohio State, Columbus and Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations
Fellow, Ohio State Bar Foundation
Martindale Hubbell AV rated
United Way Summit County Young Leadership Award
OWBA Past President Award (2011)
Ohio Women’s Bar Association 2009 President’s Choice Award Recipient
National Association of Professional
Women “Professional Women of the Year” 2010/2011
Recognized by Cambridge Who’s WhoThe Rule in Shelley's Case Rears Its Ugly Head
, 16 U. Dayton L. Rev. 1283 (1991)
Valoria has lectured on trial tactics, injunctive relief, discovery issues and effective writing at numerous continuing legal education seminars.
Vice President, Leadership Akron Class XV (1999 Graduate and former Board Member)
Coach, Columbus Public Woodward Middle School Mock Trial Team (2006 - 2010)
Board Member and Class Representative, Jo Ann Davidson Ohio Leadership Institute (2008 Graduate and member of the Membership, Programming and Screening Committees)
Volunteer, St. Brigid of Kildare, Dublin, OhioMartindale-Hubbell Listing