Our labor and employment practice encompasses all aspects of the employment relationship in both union and non-union settings. We provide advice, counsel and litigation experience to businesses of all sizes — from large Fortune 500 companies to small and medium size businesses.
We assist employers to improve employee communication, increase efficiency and decrease the risk of litigation through a proactive approach, including the development of personnel policies and employee handbooks. Our innovative employment audit and policy review programs help our clients avoid employment-related issues before they turn into lawsuits.
We counsel our clients on the most difficult employment and human resources decisions, including the structuring of necessary workforce reductions, in order to both maximize financial objectives and minimize exposure to litigation. This includes layoff strategies, plant shutdowns and issues surrounding the enforceability and advisability of severance agreements with individual employees. We provide advice to our clients with respect to employment, executive compensation, non-competition, confidentiality and similar agreements, and we guide our clients through the maze of state and federal laws affecting the workplace.
We represent employers in federal and state court, in defense of discrimination lawsuits, wrongful discharge claims and related employment actions. We have extensive experience representing employers in disputes involving non-competition agreements, the misappropriation of trade secrets and efforts by competitors to solicit and hire their employees. We also defend employers and plan sponsors from employee benefit claims under ERISA.
On the administrative side, our attorneys regularly appear before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, and similar state agencies to defend our clients against discrimination charges based upon race, sex, age, handicap and religion, as well as wage and hour and unemployment charges.
We have considerable expertise in traditional labor matters as well, including union avoidance, collective bargaining, contract administration, labor arbitrations, strike maintenance and all manners of related issues before the National Labor Relations Board and federal courts.
Recent examples of our work include:
- Successfully defending our client sued for age discrimination by a terminated employee
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of a company charged with sexual harassment and wrongful discharge
- Obtaining an injunction to stop a former employee, in violation of a covenant not to compete, from continuing to work for a competitor
- Obtaining a favorable determination from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in response to a charge of race discrimination filed against our client by one of its employees
- Successfully defending our client and one of its top executives against claims alleging sexual harassment for which the executive faced personal liability
- Assisting our client in structuring a workforce reduction and negotiating severance arrangements with its employees
- Negotiating cost effective collective bargaining agreements on behalf of employers
- Assisted employer with strategies to avoid union organization
- Advised buyer of a company whose employees were unionized as to relevant acquisition strategies
For more information about our labor and employment law practice, please contact Robert S. Gilmore at 216-736-7240 or email@example.com, or Jonathan T. Hyman at 216-736-7226 or firstname.lastname@example.org.